Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sweet Six Interview with Megan Shepherd - Author of The Madman's Daughter & Her Dark Curiosity

I'm so excited to have author, Megan Shepherd, on the blog with us today. I get to name drop and say I knew Megan way back when. Sort of. Because even though we did take a writing workshop together, before she was agented, with an early version of The Madman's Daughter, we ALL knew Megan was going places with her writing. And it wasn't too terribly long after that when she won the SCBWI-Carolinas writing contest and scored her big-time agent, Josh Adams. Within weeks she had a trilogy deal for her gothic inspired books.

When I finally got to read The Madman's Daughter in its entirety, it was as good to the end as I knew it would be, and I can honestly say it's been one of my favorite reads of 2014. Now, there's the second book in the series to look forward to, Her Dark Curiosity. Can we all say heck yeah!

And here's Megan to answer our Sweet Six questions!
photo by Kristi Hedberg



1) Tell us about your book!

The Madman's Daughter is the first in a historical thriller trilogy inspired by various Gothic classics, including The Island of Doctor Moreau, Jekyll & Hyde, and Frankenstein. The first book follows sixteen year old Juliet Moreau as she travels from London to a mysterious tropical island where her father is rumored to be working on dangerous and experimental science. She gets swept up in mysteries, murder, and romance while she learns the truth about her father.

2) What scene in your book do you LOVE the most?

There's a scene where Juliet goes a little crazy, like her father, and smashes a lot of specimen jars and gets covered in gross chemicals and bits of rotting specimens. Disgusting, I know. But I like how that scene shows how she's slipping into madness.

3) If you had to pick a character you LOVE (and not your own!), who would you pick and why?

I adore Cassel from Holly Black's Curseworker series, starting with White Cat. He's no saint, but he's a good guy at heart, and his family is insane.

4) What's the craziest/most memorable valentine you've ever received?

For whatever reason (dating the wrong guys I guess) I never got flowers before I married my husband. He gave me flowers our first Valentine's Day and it meant so much to me. Now he gets them for me all the time. (I picked the right guy!)

5) If you were a Brach's Heart, what phrase would be written on you?

SWEET MADNESS. Because love is better when there's a little craziness.

6) The all-important choice: flowers or candy?

Ha! Well, after question #4, I guess I have to say flowers, though I do love chocolate in all its forms.


Sweet madness, indeed! Thanks so much for joining us today, Megan, and don't forget! Today's the last day to enter the contest to win swag from the Reader Skit post which Megan participated in. Prizes are a signed copy of The Madman's Daughter, a signed copy of Denise Jaden's Losing Faith, swag from Jen McConnel, Jeanne Ryan, Denise Jaden, and Megan Shepherd. Enter below!



17 comments:

  1. Great interview! Megan, thanks so much for stopping by. Congrats on all of your success. I'm already looking forward to reading HER DARK CURIOSITY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! You know I'm first on the ARC list for yours :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I hope you like it! *nervously bites fingernails*

      Delete
  2. Megan,

    Congratulations on THE MADMAN"S DAUGHTER & HER DARK CURIOSITY! I <3'd TMD and can't wait to read HDC. :) And the covers....so swoon-worthy! Thanks for hanging out with us Valentines today! *sends heaps of luck and love and chocolate for a sweet rest of 2013 and all of 2014* :)

    Oh--and I adore Cassel too! Great pick.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne! I know, isn't the Curseworker series the best? I wish more people knew about it!

      Delete
  3. I read White Cat, but haven't read the others yet, must remedy it. Thanks again, Megan, for playing along! I owe you! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! And just for the record, we all knew you were going places too in Joy's class!

      Delete
  4. Hey Agent-sister!! *waves* So glad you came by. I loved Madman's Daughter, and I can't wait for HDC!! AND your new one, too! You are so talented and I'm so excited for all of the books we have in store to read from you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED Madman's Daughter, looking forward to Dark Curiousity and I had NO IDEA Frankenstein was the inspiration for the 3rd book. I LOVE Frankenstein - I have read it 4 times for college (don't ask. Obsessed, much?). and I'm pretty sure I can write an entire thesis on women in Frankenstein and how they were treated (because um...I did write a paper on it). CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SECOND BOOK!!!! Loved this interview!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still drool every time I see Madman's cover--and now that I've seen Dark Curiosity, I'm thinking I should just get a bib! GORGEOUS!

    Awesome prize pack! Good luck to all who enter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with other Bethany, the cover is so beautiful! I put it on my library displays whenever I get the chance because I love it so much.
    --bethany

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to read both books, got a great review of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love BOTH covers for these books and am dying to read this series!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to read Her Dark Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely loved The Madman's Daughter. I devoured it like crazy, lol (no pun intended). Can't wait to read Her Dark Curiosity. January should get here already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed The Madman's Daughter. It was fresh and it was easy to fall in love with the story and the characters. I can't wait to read the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both covers are great ! I enjoyed Madmans Daughter. I think I will enjoy even more knowing the author is a Curseworker's fan

    ReplyDelete