Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Book Rave: THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX

Hey sweet readers!

Today I'm raving about not only one of my all-time favorite books, but one of my all-time favorite series: the Jenna Fox Chronicles by Mary Pearson. I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS SERIES HIGHLY ENOUGH! It will blow your mind, and haunt you for days, even weeks. Maybe forever. I recently finished the third book in the series, FOX FOREVER, (aptly titled, right?!) and weeks later, I'm still thinking about it.

It's that amazing.

I <3 this trilogy SO MUCH, for so many reasons. The first? The gorgeous covers. Because I can't help myself, I'm going to show you all three.:)

Book One

Book Two
Book Three




















Aren't the covers stunning?! I think so too. I truly love all three books--for different but equally awesome reasons--but for this book rave, I'm going to focus on the first book, since it's the perfect introduction to this trilogy if you haven't read it already.

Here's the cover that I have of THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX (the original cover), along with the description from Goodreads:


Who is Jenna Fox? Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a coma, they tell her, and she is still recovering from a terrible accident in which she was involved a year ago. But what happened before that? Jenna doesn't remember her life. Or does she? And are the memories really hers?

This fascinating novel represents a stunning new direction for acclaimed author Mary Pearson. Set in a near future America, it takes readers on an unforgettable journey through questions of bio-medical ethics and the nature of humanity. Mary Pearson's vividly drawn characters and masterful writing soar to a new level of sophistication.



This book won oodles of awards, which you can find on Mary's website. And I think it deserved every accolade it received.

At the book's core rests the powerful question: "what makes us who we are?" It explores the very essence of humanity, while at the same time raises probing questions concerning the boundaries of medical ethics and bio-experimentation--all within the framework of Jenna's personal quest to figure out her identity. The characters are rich and layered, the pacing breathless. And the writing? Absolutely beautiful; it pulls you in from page one and never lets you go.

Having recently finished FOX FOREVER, the Jenna Fox Chronicles were as powerful for me as THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy. (Side note: here's an interesting fact: Suzanne Collins blurbed the second book, THE FOX INHERITANCE, calling it a "riveting" and "thought-provoking sequel." Yup, the second book is THAT GOOD too. Once you read the first, you'll be sucked in and I guarantee you'll be dying to read the sequel...and then the finale.:D)

Like I said at the start, I can't recommend this book--and series--highly enough. :)

So, have you read THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX? What did you think? And if you haven't read it, GO! Make it your #FridayRead, make it your #WeekendRead. But definitely read it. You won't be disappointed. I'll bet a a fresh-baked batch of chocolate chip cookies on it.:)

13 comments:

  1. Love, love, LOVE these books! When I first read ADORATION, I was still teaching middle school, and I pushed it at all my kids that year. They loved it, too. Great post, Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! :) xoxo So glad you introduced it to your kids--such a GREAT read.

      Delete
  2. I remember stumbling across these books while working at my library branch one day, and I was so glad I did! Fascinating to see the original cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? SO GOOD. The whole series is THAT good. And I think cover changes are intriguing too. :) xo

      Delete
  3. This book is one of the comps for my debut (I mean, in that "mine is not as good by half but they're kinda sorta similar" way).

    I try not to descend into creepy stalkerhood, but Mary Pearson is tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL

      KLM- These are the kind of books that make me think "OMG, I can never write anything this good/I'm a hack/etc." :) They are so good.

      And I can't wait for Tabula Rasa!!!!! xo

      Delete
  4. I haven't read these yet--but they are now on my TBR list. These sound incredible. And the covers...AACK! I have cover envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Add to TBR list! I can't wait to hear what you think, Bethany! :)

      (P.S. YOUR COVER WILL ROCK. That is all.:D)

      Delete
  5. Oh! I haven't! But now I totally want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! JRo, they're a sci-fi must read. :) I think you'll love them too!

      Delete
  6. Wow, these sound awesome and I second the cover envy :-)

    Great choice, Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula! I adore these books, clearly :) You have to read! Totally amazing!

      Delete
  7. I loved the first book, but I haven't read the last two yet--I need to get on that STAT!! Thanks for the book rave, Lynne!

    ReplyDelete